Laptop Networking, NetworkManager, ifupdown ---> Merge them?

Frederic Peters fpeters at debian.org
Fri Jan 7 04:57:22 CST 2005

Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> NetworkManager seems to have gone in some questionable directions recently,
> and it seems unlikely that we will adopt it at this time.

We just had a discussion on our local (Brussels) LUG about PPPoE
configuration and the current lack of tools (besides pppoeconf).
I planned to look at NetworkManager and see how I could add PPPoE
support but it was on the premise it was going to be used by Ubuntu.

How did the situation evolve ?

I think a safe bet would be a GTK+ version of pppoeconf; it wouldn't
be much difficult and could hopefully be integrated in whatever tool
get choosen later.

        Frederic