The "It's Just a Desktop Distro" Problem

Tollef Fog Heen tfheen at canonical.com
Wed Jan 5 04:46:31 CST 2005

* "jorge o. castro"

| Conservative admins are /bastards/, you say udev, kernel 2.6, hal,
| and dbus to a conservative server admin and they're having a heart
| attack.

I think you hit the nail on the head here: conservative.  If you're a
server admin, you tend to be (or become) conservative.  I think we'll
have a lot more interest from server admins when hoary is out -- warty
is the first release and so is something most server admins will stay
away from.  (Heck, I'm not ubuntuizing any of my servers yet, and I'm
one of the developers :)

You have a nice list of suggestion as well, which should be worked on,
but I think the main reason we aren't seeing people installing Ubuntu
en masse on servers is that it's still a bit too new.

                                                                      `. `'
                                                                        `-