Announcing security hardened kernels for testing

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Tue Jan 4 14:08:02 CST 2005

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 14:47:24 -0200, Gustavo Franco wrote:
> Add on the list: Java (jvm, of course not in main) and Wine (universe).

Wine doesn't depend on being able to execute stuff from non-exec memory,
or shouldn't (I nailed a few bugs with that months ago). It *is* sensitive
to address space layout changes, but we now have multiple layers of armour
against that sort of thing which is why I asked about exec-shield. I'm
assuming PaX works in a similar way.

Hopefully the code we have in place to deal with execshield/prelink also
deals with PaX but let us know if there are any problems.

thanks -mike