CD Burning -- gtoaster

Bas van der Lei pubmail at xs4all.nl
Sun Jan 2 07:34:01 CST 2005

John Richard Moser:
> rbrimhall wrote:
> | There has been much discussion on the lists about GNOME/GTK based
> | burning apps. The top candidates AFAIK are:
> |
> | coaster
> |
> | http://www.coaster-burn.org/
> |

> Screenies look okay, but gtoaster and gnomebaker both display interfaces
> that are immediately more intuitive.  Drop files, drop audio tracks,
> select CD, burn.  Everything you need-- file browser and controls-- are
> right there in front of you.

I think coaster has a few advantages over the others:

      * No more cdrecord and cdrdao. It uses libburn, which is the
        future imo because it is supported by freedesktop.org:
        http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fburn
      * It has a clean interface. It is not a nero clone like k3b or
        gnomebaker. You can just drag-and-drop files from nautilus.

GnomeBaker seems to me like a pretty slick solution for people coming
from nero or easycd creator.

But to let cd-writing really make sense to novice users I think there
should be druids for the basic tasks (like the wizards in most
commercial cd-writing software).

An other thing is how good the program can be integrated in the existing
software. I would love to see a burn to CD option in the Rhythmbox music
player :-) Or something like create a VCD/DVD from these video files.

Just my 2 cents.

--
Greets,

Bas van der Lei <pubmail at xs4all.nl>