live CD tests [2005-02-21 daily on powerpc, amd64 x 2 + ia64]

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Sat Feb 26 18:42:51 CST 2005

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 07:06:53PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 06:08:21PM +0000, James Troup wrote:
> >  - There are lots of very slow stages (e.g. 'storing language',
> >    'configuring user'); on a machine as fast as concordia, that seems
> >    very strange?
>
> "Storing language" is doing locale-gen, which is snail-paced at best. I
> don't know if it contains sleeps or something silly like that.

It's even slower when running from CD, like everything else.  At some
(post-Hoary) point, we can work on the performance of the live CD.  Some
readahead and such might make a significant difference.

> >  - I get the full X configuration prompts.  But err, this is a
> >    keyboardless serial install?
>
> casper bug, I think. (Maybe.)

If there's a canonical way to test whether we're on a serial console, I can
easily disable the X stuff in casper based on that.

--
 - mdz