OpenOffice and Mysql Connector/J (Java support?)

Chris Wilson blixtra at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 06:46:37 CST 2005

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:20:11 +0000, Chris Halls
<chris.halls at credativ.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sunday 20 Feb 2005 01:13, Chris Wilson wrote:
> > While trying to get openoffice and MySQL to talk to each other using
> > MySQL Connector/J, I ran in to a problem. To get connector/J to work
> > one has to enable Java (options -> security) and add the path to
> > connector/J to classpath. However, whenever I try to enable Java, the
> > state is not saved and it basically just doesn't work.
> >
> > Is this a bug or does it have something to do with Java being unsupported?
>
> It is a licensing problem, I'm afraid.  A package in main needs to have a free
> license, and must be buildable using packages only from main.  Building OOo
> with java support needs a JDK that does not meet those rules.  The good news
> is, there is ongoing work to get OOo2 working with gcj, which is free.
>
> Chris

I aware of the licensing conflict and that's what I had assumed.

Is there an unsupported build with java support?

For the language school that I've been administering and am evaluating
Hoary for, this is a must because their whole sytem is based on a
mysql DB used through OOo. The ODBC driver kept giving errors.

If all else fails, I'll try using alien on the fedora or Suse package
and see how that works.

Thanks,
Chris