Menus in Hoary/Gnome2.9

Mark Cooke markcooke.interweb at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 03:23:13 CST 2005

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 03:32:15 -0500, yusufk <dlist at ubuntuforums.org> wrote:

> It is quite evident that this topic is an issue with many users /
> developers and it should therefore be given the priority it requires.

This I agree with that as well.

> To some up my experience, one of the things that impressed me most
> about Ubuntu was the neatly organised, uncluttered menus. I did notice
> that I couldnt move things around easily in the menu (like in windoze),
> but the menu was neat enough to ignore this problem.

This is generally true, but there are times, when you want to edit the
menu and now you cannot, apart from add a new item to the gnome-panel.

> I can still get by without a menu editor if I know that something is
> going to be done about neatening the gnome menu, especially when KDE is
> installed (like a separate kde sub menu)

This would be nice, this is one of the things I miss with this new
version and was a welcome change in Debian when I switched years ago,
to the old redhat way of not being able to add/edit items to the menu.

I personally feel that taking this option out IS a really bad idea,
it's giving the user less control, and going more towards the windows
way of 'You are doing it this way only', rather than giving us the
choice, that we are used to with OSS/Free software (call it what you
will).

A better way would be to use a gconf key (and one may already be
there), that users cannot edit, so sysadmins can lock the menu down
and stop users from editing it (from a support point of view this s a
great idea), but also the option to allow users to edit it, if it was
used for a home desktop machine.

I will be seeing is this has been added upstream and enter a bug report.

Is there anyway Ubuntu could add this option back to edit / add items
to the menus?

As if upstream ignore the request, it would be something all the other
GNOME based distros do not offer, so it could be another selling point
(so to speak).

Mark

--
A fool lies awake at nights, worrying of this and that;
weary is he when morning breaks, and all remains as before.