Debconf GNOME UI and libgnome2-perl

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Fri Feb 11 17:21:05 CST 2005

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 12:12:34PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> I'm not really happy with debconf's current GNOME frontend, so I should make
> it clear that this has influenced my answer. :-) I think we should suffer
> the vte terminal for hoary, but write a great pygtk debconf frontend for our
> next release. It saves us adding the gnome/perl stack to our supported set
> (it's in main now, but only as an explicit seed addition, which we can roll
> back) and saves adding it to desktop (which would impact CD size).

I'm open to adding libgnome2-perl to the desktop seed in order to support
the debconf GNOME frontend.

- We ask very few questions in main anyway
- For packages which do ask questions, it is important that the user see
  them and know that their input is required
- While the UI is not ideal, I don't think it's _that_ bad
- This change would allow us to hide the terminal window by default, which
  is a usability improvement which (in my opinion) more than offsets the
  occasional ugly popup dialog.  No more cryptic scrolling text!

--
 - mdz