Bringing newly-installed users into the community (Re: Should XChat default to freenode and #ubuntu?)

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Wed Feb 9 17:01:00 CST 2005

On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 11:21:28PM +0100, Kristof Vansant wrote:

> what about putting a launcher in Desktop that when clicked fires up
> xchat and joins #ubuntu-newbie. I would call the launcher Get online
> help or something like that.

I wouldn't want to send the user to a discussion/support channel with an
implicit guarantee of support, so perhaps "Chat with other Ubuntu users"
instead.

I am interested in finding ways to connect new users with the Ubuntu
community (forums, chat, wiki, etc.), but we need to carefully consider the
effects before we implement them.

I think that the "About Ubuntu" page (and the revised version developed by
the documentation team[0]) should be our primary gateway.  The format gives us
a chance to explain to the user where they are, and what to expect from the
various resources.

--
 - mdz

[0] My understanding is that there is a work in progress available; who is
packaging it?  This needs to enter Hoary as soon as possible.