Ubuntu Reviver

Peter Damoc pdamoc at gmx.net
Tue Feb 8 12:20:55 CST 2005

Except from this week's  DistroWatch Weekly comments:

<quote>
• Re: Ubuntu's popularity (by Ariszló on 2005-02-08 08:43:33 GMT from Hungary)
Dexter Ang wrote: "1. Fast. It's not as fast as Gentoo, but it beats the hell out of Fedora."

You must have a huge amount of RAM if you find Ubuntu fast. Try to install it on a machine with 128 MB of RAM and then compare Ubuntu with distributions like Slackware, Arch Linux, Yoper, Specifix or CCux. Beating the hell out of Fedora is not a big feat.
</quote>

I wanted to point this myself sooner.... as a goal for Grumpy maybe you could set up something like:
Ubuntu Reviver.
Same Ubuntu only a better selection of packages or compile flags so that older computers could be used.
I don't want Ubuntu to run on 386 BUT a Pentium I MMX 166-200 with 64 Mb RAM could be a nice target.
You gave people something to replace WinXP now give them something to replace Win 95.
A lot of older computers get parked in third world countries as part of donations... these systems need something to run...
Most of these computers come with no licence for Windows... and they run solely because there is a tacit acceptance from competent authorities... but that won't last forever.... and soon schools might have to uninstall Windows... because they won't be able to find money for licences. They might end up closing the laboratories because... linux enthusiasts willing to give a try to "DeLi Linux" or whatever works on these systems, are in short supply and there might not be anyone to help them out of the mess.

Of course there is a chance, a big chance, that even users with higher level systems might end up using such a version. ;)
I for one would love to see a version based on Rox or IceWM. ;)

--
Peter Damoc
jack of all trades, master of none