synaptic with dpkg progressbar in hoary

Michael Vogt michael.vogt at ubuntu.com
Fri Feb 4 04:11:54 CST 2005

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 06:38:47PM -0500, JoWilly wrote:
> 1 question: how do you deal with packages where user input is needed
> (like the hpoj drivers for HP multifuction devices) ?

Unfortunately it can't detect is something tries to read from the
terminal. If someone has a idea how to realize that feature, I would
love to hear about it.

There is the "terminal" expander and if something hangs in the
"Configuring XY" stage, the expander needs to be clicked to show the
terminal (and just happend for me when I test-installed hpoj).

Packages shouldn't do direct prompting anymore (and very few do
nowdays). There is debconf that lets the packages prompt for input in
a nice and user-friendly way and most packages use it now. The
conffile changes prompt from dokg is also detected and dealt with in a
graphical way.

thanks for testing!
 Michael