Python IDE

Sean Kennedy swanriversean at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 17:03:00 CST 2005

I must admit, that in addition to being new to this list, I am also
new to Python; so I won't presume to be able to say what a Python
developer would look for in his IDE.

That said let me think out loud for a while on the subject...

I have used Eclipse for Java before and found it to be a big
improvement over anything else I've ever used to develop in that
language.  It would have the advantage of being something that could
be available for use immediately, whereas porting eric3 (or developing
another tool) may never produce anything useful.

Still, developing another tool would be quite an exciting project.  It
would be nice to have an IDE developed in Python so that Python
programmers could improve the IDE.  The IDE would integrate with Glade
(or maybe Glade could be integrated into it).  Version control, a
debugger, code completion, etc.; the usual suspects of an IDE should
be included.  An interactive Python shell must be integrated as well.
The IDE should make it easy to complete a small project quickly, and
manage a larger project easily.

I think I understand the idea is to make Python the language of choice
for the Ubuntu community (and beyond?).  If that really is the goal
(quite ambitious, I think) maybe it makes sense to strike out and
build a PyGTK IDE for Python programmers.

... so that's what you get when you think out loud.

>From that, I guess I would suggest that something be done to make an
IDE in Python for Python.  While that is being done, there must be a
group of individual programs that could be recommended to Python
developers; maybe a meta-package could deliver them all with a single
apt-get command.

Sean.