quiet initscripts

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Sat Feb 5 04:27:22 CST 2005

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 08:25:20PM -0500, John Richard Moser wrote:
> Taco Witte wrote:
> > Funny you mention colors -- I'm coming from Gentoo and one of the
> > first bugs I posted here was about colored prompts (it turned out
> > they're already there if you edit the default .bashrc, see #4711).
> > But for the initscripts: I think it's even better to limit the output
> > to what's really necessary because that way important information
> > already gets enough attention.
>
> Never had a problem with this in Gentoo.  Things were all green,
> red-flagged with red "FAIL" markers if there was a problem.

Not so ideal for the 8% or so of the male population suffering from
red-green colour-blindness, for people who just plain don't like the
colours, or for people trying to read logs of upgrades dumped to a file;
especially given that /lib/lsb/init-functions is not a configuration
file in Ubuntu (if you change it, it will be overwritten on upgrades of
the lsb-base package).

I think the right answer is to make at least some of
/lib/lsb/init-functions read from a configuration file in /etc, and then
people can do what they like. I do feel that "sane by default" suggests
that we ought to take account of accessibility constraints in the
default configuration, though; we did so when deciding on the current
implementation of init-functions.

Cheers,