x86 Suspend/resume support in Hoary

Sami Haahtinen ressu at ressukka.net
Sat Feb 5 02:52:29 CST 2005

Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Suspend and resume support has now landed in Hoary. Please see
> http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/HoaryPM for instructions on how to set
> it up and test it, and then add your results to

PM is back with even more new twists.

Last night i upgraded a kernel and without any more thought continued
working and finally put my laptop to hibernation. This morning when
resuming i got an error about version difference and the laptop booted
up without resuming.

Although this is not as bad as the last problem, when i ended up with
corrupted filesystems and all, but this could still lead to data loss in
user apps.

The scripts should check for a kernel version mismatch, which wont be as
easy as it sounds. also it would be nice if we could somehow fixate the
grub menu (or whatever) so that the version we hibernated with is the
one that gets booted. This mostly applies for ABI changes and kernel
upstream version changes. Also, one option would be to refuse
hibernation all together if the running kernel can't be found on disk.

Sigh, now i spoiled someones morning..

- S