CHRP support / Mailing lists

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Thu Feb 3 13:23:23 CST 2005

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 01:04:23PM -0600, Jerry Haltom wrote:
> Curiously, are there hidden lists? Or does everybody get everything done
> on IRC? Or the Wiki? It seems odd that such a kick ass distribution
> materialized with only 30 messages a day of discussion.

In practice a lot gets done on IRC; the latency is so much lower that
it's worthwhile. A good deal has been done face-to-face at conferences,
too.

In the early days, before we went public, development took place on the
main Canonical internal mailing list (which now sees very few mails, and
none about Ubuntu development), but the level of mailing list traffic
was a good deal lower then than it is now. You can get a lot done if you
give people tasks they're interested in and the freedom to get on with
them largely unobstructed.

Cheers,