XXI century and still using 386 packages...

Alberto Núñez nuakosta at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 13:09:58 CST 2005

I suppose I'm not the first that comment this...
We are in 2005, with new technologies and amazingly fast systems...
and we are using prehistoric system aimed packages. How many people
does use a 386 desktop computer? How many people use a 486 desktop
computer? Even Pentiums, nobody surf internet today with a pentium
(well, someone...)
We have Ubuntu, a desktop oriented distribution with Gnome2. Do you
think gnome2 can run on a 386 system, or a 486 system, or a 586? Yes,
but so crappy and slow that you would prefer buying a new computer. I
had a Pentium MMX machine and it ran the gnome desktop as fast as a
turtle. Better not talking about OpenOffice...
I accept and understand that debian uses 386 packages, because it's
oriented to be installed in servers, and all kinds of machines, even
that old computer you have in your home. But, who is going to try to
install Ubuntu on such computers? The minimal system where ubuntu runs
smoothly if you want to use it as a desktop is a Pentium2. Even a
Pentium3. And, I think that if you want to install a linux server you
do not choose ubuntu, you choose debian. Ubuntu's target is desktop
computers, and so, it should be at least 686 compiled. Using 386 is
wasting today's machines.

What do you think about that? I know you are going to tell me that
it's 386 because everybody has the right to use an Ubuntu system, but
yes, those people with that old hardware are be capable of installing
ubuntu, but not to use it.

Greetings from Spain.