A nudge in the right direction...

Joshua Chambers ouroboros at freedoment.com
Sat Dec 31 22:07:38 GMT 2005

Hello!

I have been lurking for some time, but haven't coded for a while, being
busy with other things, and now I have a feature I can't seem to find
and am determined to build it for all.  Now, although I know
programming, I don't know much about the code and object structure of
Gnome, and so I wanted to ask this friendly and knowledgeable community
to point me towards the right bits of code to start with.

The feature I need is on-the-fly sound normalization.  Now, if anyone
knows of a package in existence already that is going to do this for me,
I'll happily write something else, but although I have found programs
that do this during encoding, I haven't seen one that will do it on the
fly.

You see, with a young baby, and the movie on, the action scenes come and
the volume increases, and waaaaaaaa, and then the intimate scene comes
on and you're reaching for the volume control, 50 times in a movie!  So
it sure sounds simple, right?  The volume of the sound stream increases,
decrease the volume, and vice-versa.

So, I just kinda need to know where to start, maybe someone could point
me to an introduction to the gstreamer sound api's.  I'm looking on the
web of course, but there's a lot to sort through, and I've never really
worked with sound programming, but it sounds like a fun challenge and I
am determined.

Thank you for your energy and community!
Joshua