Fluendo MP3 GStreamer Plugin in Main for Dapper?

John Nilsson john at milsson.nu
Sat Dec 31 17:03:11 GMT 2005

On Sat, 2005-12-31 at 02:39 +0100, Leo Cacciari wrote:
> Il giorno ven, 30/12/2005 alle 01.35 -0200, Evandro Fernandes Giovanini
> ha scritto:
>

> > If the Fluendo plugin is part of Ubuntu then everyone that wants to
> > redistribute Ubuntu can't, unless they also sign a contract with
> > Fluendo. Ubuntu would be a proprietary operating system, and we don't
> > really want to become one of those, do we? ;)
>
> No, wrong. Everyone who distribute and is infortunate enough to live in
> the USofA. European people can, for now....

Please read the EULA. To be allowed to distribute the plug-in you must
sign a contract where you have the right to bundle it under that EULA.
It is the source that comes with a MIT license, not the binary.

Quote:                           Fluendo hereby grants the
Licensee a non-exclusive, non-transferable limited license to install,
use or otherwise benefit from the functionality of the Software in
the manner and for the purposes described in the Documentation, on a per
end user basis, as agreed in Fluendo’s Software Terms of Service.

2. Except as expressly authorized by Fluendo in writing, it is forbidden
to: [...] sell, resell, rent, lease, distribute, transfer, assign,
sublicense or otherwise deal with the Software, its components,
the Documentation or any of the rights granted under this License
Agreement;

> Nothing personal, but I found this totalizing vision of the world
> implying that "Forbiden in the USofA = Forbiden for All" quite
> fastidious, more so when put forward by non-us people. This vision, when
> transposed to the gouvernement level, will bring us in the same hell
> where US citizens already are.

> Someone proposed a non-us cd. I think this idea could serve two
> purposes: first, will avoid non-us citizens and residents be bounded by
> a law they are unable (and rightly so) to change. Second, us-citizens
> would have to take notice that their law forbids them to do things (like
> listen to mp3-encoded music) that other people, elsewhere in the world,
> do. Whenever this would push them to change those laws is up to them:
> every people should have the laws it choose, but must not impose them to
> other peoples.

I think it would be best to consult with a lawyer to conclude whether
this is possible.

Regards,
John