Usplash and password request (encrypted root/swap)

Ilkka Tuohela hile at nixu.com
Sat Dec 31 07:55:19 GMT 2005

Hi, I'm still working on the encrypted root filesystem package
initramfs-cryptsetup (which should be uploaded to debian and universe
but I don't know how...)

The package itself seems to work just fine on i386, with plain and LVM
root filesystem now, not supporting encrypted swap passphrase query (so
no hibernation to encrypted swap is possible).

The problem is that because I ask for the passphrase in
scripts/local-top/cryptsetup, usplash will unload and fallback to text
based mode. There are 2 solutions:

- Ask for the passphrase _before_ usplash is loaded, store it to the
  ramdisk and use the stored value for root filesystem cryptsetup from
  local-top
- Write a small program to ask for the passphrase in usplash-compatible
  framebuffer dialog

I actually would like to implement the framebuffer option, but did not
find any documentation for it.

So, my questions are (lazy, could look at usplash/bogl sources...):
- Does usplash/bogl already support this? There is a note about it, but
  I did not find any notice that it were implemented
- If support exists, could you point me to some documents how to do this
  properly? Guess I'll have to write my own little framebuffer app to do
  it? Or should we have some type of generic 'ask question' usplash
  command, which can just be called from scripts without no compiled
  code? Like,

  passphrase="$(usplash_write PASSWORD "Enter passphrase for $rootfs:")"

BTW, the devel version available from http://ner.dy.fi/deb/ of
initramfs-cryptsetup is not up to date, and does not yet support LVM
root filesystem - I'll update the package shortly, see it's timestamp or
mail me if you need updated version...

	*hile*