Fluendo MP3 GStreamer Plugin in Main for Dapper?

Colin Leroy colin at colino.net
Fri Dec 30 13:31:01 GMT 2005

On 30 Dec 2005 at 14h12, Florian Zeitz wrote:

Hi,

> Actually they seem to have (which I'm wondering about, because I'd say
> this is a software patent, which is not legal) a patents on this in
> Germany. At least they claim to have some, as well as in Belgium,
> France, etc. [1].

It's not because they claim, that said patents are valid. Yeah, the
European Patent Office granted a few tens of thousands of software
patents, but they have zero value right now. Which is why there were
some interesting things in this regard a few monthes ago.

See there for more information on SW patents in Europe:

    http://swpat.ffii.org/
    http://wiki.ffii.org/Ep050706En
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/06/eu_bins_swpat/

(There are much more things to read about in this subject).
--
Colin