Fluendo MP3 GStreamer Plugin in Main for Dapper?

JanC janc13 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 22:05:00 GMT 2005

On 12/29/05, HC Brugmans <hcbrugmans at gmail.com> wrote:
> The rhythmbox developers might consider it, might not. I've asked, and
> the response was always "I'm not personally opposed, but there are a lot
> of other contributors".
> This situation is made worse due to the main developer of RB not having
> internet at the moment.

Well, it's their choice...
It would be nice if there was a way for applications to check for
"non-GPL-compatible" codecs & ignore them if they wish (or give users
the choice).

> Then again, none of this truly matters. The point here is if it is
> legally possible and desireable for Canonical and/or the Ubuntu
> Foundation to sign that contract with Fluendo and distribute the plugin.

I sure it's legally possible, but we must check if it's desirable (it
shouldn't hurt the rest of Ubuntu!).

> I have not seen anyone who could venture an informed opinion on that
> matter participate in this thread just yet, and untill the technical
> board (or Mark, for all I care) awnser this question, all other points
> are moot.

This is more a Community Council decision IMHO.

--
JanC