Fluendo MP3 GStreamer Plugin in Main for Dapper?

Øivind Hoel oivind.hoel at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 02:52:34 GMT 2005

On 12/26/05, Chris Jones <cmsj at tenshu.net> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 3:09:12 am 26/12/2005 Evandro Fernandes Giovanini <evandrofg at ig.com.br>
> wrote:
> > What would really make a difference is if people didn't need non-free
> > or patented technologies. :)
>
> Maybe I'm too pessimistic/pragmatic, but I don't see that happening in any
> kind of reasonable timeframe, so I discard the possibility and look for the
> best ways to make life easier for people.
>
> > Anyway, the starter guide already explains how to add Java, MP3 and
>
> There's a starter guide? Everyone knows that nobody reads the instructions
> for things. In my case because I'm an old hand, in other cases because
> people can't be bothered and in other cases because they can't find it.
> Why should a new user read through a starter guide to get java/mp3 support
> when the rest of the desktop is so discoverable?
>
> > One idea is to launch yelp on the appropriate page when the user tries
> > to play an mp3 file with rhythmbox or totem, or view a website with
> > Java or Flash content with firefox.
>
> I completely agree, that would be much better - it would remove the current
> errors you get for such things (which in the case of rhythmbox trying to
> load an mp3 is quite confusing), you can present the legal/moral argument
> why such formats are less than desirable, but then offer a simple list of
> instructions for resolving the situation, should the user wish to.

All that stands in the way of getting the plugin included in Ubuntu is

a) to make sure we don't ship GPL-licensed players that will make use
of the plugin
b) to get the players in pt. a to add an exception to their license
c) dropping rhythmbox and instead including banshee (which is rather
difficult since it requires the huge mono stack)

I'd be in favour of c) and dropping stuff like gl-enabled
screensavers, etc, if possible at all.