Cherrypicking system-config-xfree86 from redhat

Erast Benson erast at gnusolaris.org
Fri Dec 23 17:45:51 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 23:28 +0100, Simon Edwards wrote:
> On Thursday 22 December 2005 22:11, Corey Burger wrote:
> > One of the biggest holes in our configuration tools in a decent X
> > configuration tool. The RH/Fedora one is far from perfect, but it
> > might form a good basis. Obviously we are talking about Dapper+1 for
> > anything, I am just raising the idea.
>
> FWIIW. I'm working on an X configuration utility which will hopefully be in
> good shape for Kubuntu's Dapper release. (Kubuntu is already using the other
> configuration utilities that we've been working on.)
>
> The project is called Guidance: http://www.simonzone.com/software/guidance/
>
> Single head configuration, gamma, live resolution (RandR) changes, hardware
> detection, monitor and driver selection is already in there and working.
> (although needed much more testing). I'm now moving on to dual head /
> multi-head configurations.

Nice!

> It is written in Python + KDE. The really painful non-GUI related stuff is
> separate from the GUI code and thus should be able to support having another
> GUI frontend written on top of it.

why not just to use system-tools-backends which is part of
freedesktop.org ? And build Python/KDE GUI on top of that?

And besides, it provides initial backend for Xorg configuration...

Would be nice to see Guidance GUI apps running on top of
system-tools-backends one day. Really.

I could help you with STB backends and Guidance KDE/GUI integration in
some ways since I'm currently working on Nexenta OS GNU/Solaris
(http://www.gnusolaris.org) of system-tools-backends port.