Reasons for ikeeping an MTA

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Tue Dec 20 22:32:08 GMT 2005

I agree that if you are going to get email, it should be important, and
dangling man symlinks aren't really important.

I just noticed today that the server at work I have running ubuntu got
postfix installed somehow... it may have been when I installed mysql.  I
had no idea until today that my normal user on this server had a 100 MB
mail spool in /var/mail.  This was mostly due to the output of my
nightly backup script because I was having tar backup based on the
mtime, and it was printing the name of every file that it did NOT back
up because its mtime was old.

I guess if I had not noticed this, all this useless information would
have just continued to fill up /var/mail.  That's not very good.  Also
I'm wondering why all mail to root is being delivered to my normal user?
  For that matter, why was it in /var/mail and not ~/Mail?  I seem to
remember that being the place mail was delivered back in the day.

Anyhow, if an MTA is installed, I think there should be some kind of
notification on the desktop when you get local email.  As it was it took
me a while just to be able to read the mail.  I used to use pine back in
the day, but that isn't available, so I finally installed mutt and gave
it a try.  I also seem to remember that you'd periodically get a message
on your tty when you had email, but this never happened either.