UI considerations with gfxboot

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Sun Dec 18 22:42:42 GMT 2005

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 01:39:45PM +0100, Philip Axer wrote:
> What's about:
> Install Ubuntu Desktop
> Install Ubuntu Server
> Install Ubuntu OEM
>
> Start   Ubuntu Rescue System
> .... etc
>
> This is consistent and the differences are in one column

As I've just written in another post, it's valuable to avoid putting
"Ubuntu" in the boot option text, as the same screen will be used for
Kubuntu and Edubuntu and translated into many languages. I think the
need to offer translations also precludes English-specific column
alignment; my experience has been that it's very tricky to get this sort
of thing consistent across languages.

"Desktop" may be a worthwhile thing to put in the default boot option,
though.

Cheers,