UI considerations with gfxboot

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Fri Dec 16 09:42:36 GMT 2005

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 07:33:23PM -0800, Corey Burger wrote:
> Currently the gfxboot menu has a great deal of options, one of which
> confused me at first. The current menu, for a referesher, looks like
> this:
> Install on Harddrive
> Install on Harddrive (expert mode)
> OEM installation
> Server Installation
> Server Installation (expert mode)
> Rescue installed system
> I propose we change it to:
> Install on Harddrive
> Rescue Installed System
> Server Installation
> Other Installation Methods
> This hides the expert stuff behind another menu so that the average
> user is not confused by the expert vs. normal.

My intention is to turn "expert mode" into a toggle switch on a function
key (once I figure out what the text should look like); that's something
I've wanted to do for some time, but have not been able to do before
gfxboot. After that you'd be left with one option behind "Other
Installation Methods", which I don't think is appropriate at the moment.

It's also worth noting that there are two other options on the menu
which appear on scrolling, although it's not obvious at the moment that
you can scroll. These are "Memory test" and "Boot from first hard disk",
both of which I think should be displayed.

> Can we also kill the count down to doomsday clock?

A CD timeout was explicitly requested
(http://wiki.ubuntu.com/CdBootloader), and given that I think it's
perfectly appropriate to display how long it's going to be until the CD
automatically boots. Is it the timeout you object to, or the visual
appearance of the clock? If the latter, do you have a better suggestion?