Modem users' pain

Matthew Paul Thomas mpt at
Wed Dec 14 12:27:37 GMT 2005

On 13 Dec, 2005, at 11:12 AM, Frank Siegert wrote:
> 13. December 2005 07:53, Peter Garrett:
>> I feel a *prominent* and *simple* solution should be presented to new
>> users - i.e. human beings. A decent GUI front end to pppconfig would
>> be an idea. If I knew how to program I would do one myself, but as I
>> don't, I'm appealing to the experts on this list.
> I agree, and this should be part of the installation procedure, as
> well as being accessible by a GUI frontend in Ubuntu ("network setup"
> and "modem lights" panel app?) and Kubuntu (kppp?) later. Who would be
> responsible for that and how can I help him/her?

One way to start would be to fill out the NonBroadbandUsers spec
<> (and perhaps rename it to
something less negative!), briefly describing the current situation,
then listing what needs to be done -- extra packages that can and
should be legally included, which is the best config utility to
include, how it should be polished, etc.

- --
Matthew Paul Thomas
Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (Darwin)