Compressing packages with bzip2 instead gzip?

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Fri Dec 9 02:25:12 GMT 2005

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 04:36:31PM +0000, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> Select packages that benefit from it have their data members compressed
> with bzip2, instead of gzip.

Currently we only do this for language packs and a random other package or
two.  We really ought to do a more comprehensive analysis and enable bzip2
where it gives us the most benefit.

For example, compressing the kernel headers with bzip2 would save us about
1.5M on the install CD at practically no cost (they aren't installed by
default, so there would be no penalty during the installation process).
There are surely a number of other packages where the gain justifies the
cost.

The table posted in this thread should make this analysis very
straightforward.

--
 - mdz