Compressing packages with bzip2 instead gzip?

Patrick McFarland diablod3 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 14:41:25 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 07 December 2005 09:03, Stefan Glasenhardt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just a question :
>
> Is it possible to compress all packages with bzip2 instead gzip? Bzip2
> compresses about ~30% more efficient than gzip and this would mean,
> there could be more software on the Install-CD than now.

Except you usually don't see that kind of gain on binary files. Infact, I've
seen in a minority of binary files that gzip out performed bzip2. The only
place I can see bzip2 making sense is on docs, manual pages, xml files, and
anything that isn't an executable, a library, an image/sound/video/other
media file, or the holy visage of the the flying spaghetti monster.

Patrick "Diablo-D3" McFarland || diablod3 at gmail.com
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids,
we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and
listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo,
Inc, 1989