Trash

James Livingston jrl at ids.org.au
Thu Dec 1 14:13:57 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 14:19 +0100, HC Brugmans wrote:
> James Livingston wrote:
> > Moving files to ~/.Trash when they get sent to the trash wouldn't be a
> > good idea here, because they are potentially multi-gigabyte files which
> > a) would be slow, and b) the files may not even fit on my /home
> > partition.
> >
> On the other hand, for media with limited size, usb sticks, zip drives,
> floppies, ipod-thingy's, etc a .trash folder is cumbersome and annoying.
> In my use case, I copy my.~/documents folder and drag it along on a
> 128mb drive. Should fit fine, save for the fact that every time I delete
> something, it sticks around in .trash, which is very unintuitive for me,
> so I only find out about it when some program complains the drive is full.

I see where you're coming from, but I don't know how we could get it to
work nicely, without causing problems for large files or network mounts.

Consider having a 128Mb flash mp3 player and a 60Gb mp3 player. For the
former moving to ~/.Trash would probably work, for the latter it
wouldn't. Behaving differently for different size media would be
horrible, because users wouldn't know what it will do when they plug in
a random device.

When removing things from small devices, you probably don't actually
want to move it to the trash - you want to delete it. I can't recall if
it's enabled by default, or not, but nautilus has a "Delete" command
that doesn't move things to the trash.

Windows will never use the trash for floppies, and I assume it behaves
the same way for usb sticks, but doing it similarly will mean you
*can't* use the trash for semi-permanently connected usb/firewire
drives.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
Wesley: Are you not used to being given orders?
Buffy: Whenever Giles sends me on a mission, he always says 'please'.