Trash

Carlos Ribeiro carribeiro at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 03:08:47 GMT 2005

On 12/1/05, Lukas Sabota <punkrockguy318 at comcast.net> wrote:

> What would be wrong with sending deleted files from any medium to the
> user's trash? (/home/user/.Trash)? A .Trash file in the medium is rather
> confusing, why have more than one trash can just because of a different
> medium?  And on your point, why would files from a different medium be
> deleted?  It would make sense for all deleted files, regardless of
> medium, to be moved to a users central trash.

What's wrong: let's say that you disk is partitioned. The /something
partition is big, and you have a big DVD image there, 4 GB in size. Now you
delete it. How can you move it to your /.Trash on /home/$me, which has only
1 GB free?

Going further: now the /something dir is a remote dir, mounted over via a
IPSEC VPN. Bandwitdh is limited. Now I delete the same 4 GB file. How long
is going to take to transfer it via the tunnel?

Are there objections to this idea?

You see, there are good reasons why this is not a good idea in the general
sense, even if it maybe seem like a good idea in some particular cases.

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos
mail: carribeiro at gmail.com