Further usplash development

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Wed Aug 31 12:21:00 CDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 14:01 -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > Like others already have replied, I also get dropped to text mode soon (at
> > starting RAID)
>
> That shouldn't happen anymore with a fully up-to-date system.

I just rebooted to check, and it still does, and yes, fully up-to-date.
I also timed the boot to give you a better feel for what happens here.
It seems to have gotten slower with usplash, but I have no hard data. Is
this even possible? Anyway, maybe it matters.

0 secs: Pressing enter on the grub boot screen -> loading kernel, boot
is in text mode
11 secs: The splash kicks in and displays beautifully until it gets to
"Calculating module dependencies"
35 secs: Splash returns me to text mode, still at calculating module
dependencies
72 secs: Text mode vanishes, X starts to come up
86 secs: gdm is ready to log in

This is a HP nc6000 laptop with Ati Radeon Mobility 9600/9700 M10/M11
(RV350 NP), 1.6 GHz Pentium M, 512 RAM

Kind regards,
Mario