Further usplash development

Jeff Waugh jeff.waugh at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 31 08:38:30 CDT 2005

<quote who="Andy Fitzsimon">

> to whoever made it .. "anti-aliasing dude, not dithering " ..  dithering
> at that resolution cannot look nice . its an obvious compromise.  "you
> cant afford glows at 16 colours.. deal with it."

The Windows XP bootsplashes are dithered, and look great. Dithering at that
colour resolution is a reality. Do note that the current testing image uses
only 13 colours for the logo and reflection (a mistake that can be fixed).
It could use up to 15 colours (because the main image does not make use of
the red failure colour).

> now im not saying that the below are any better. but we really need to
> move away from the dark terminal-like theme.

usplash is going to be running on all kinds of strange display hardware, all
of which have black as their base (no light) colour. Choosing a non-black bg
means we'll have a coloured blob in a black expanse. If we choose a black bg
we'll have a crisp centrepiece on any hardware. That's why the initial WinXP
startup screen has a black background, too.

- Jeff

--
GNOME Summit: October 8th-10th              http://live.gnome.org/Boston2005

    "The only people still using Microsoft IIS are those who don't even
                     know it's there." - Larry Ellison