Further usplash development

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Tue Aug 30 04:18:27 CDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 04:52 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> 1) Make sure that you're running 2.6.12-7
> 2) apt-get install usplash lsb-base initramfs-tools
> 3) dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-`uname -r`
> 4) ???
> 5) Profit
>
> Hibernate is currently broken if you're using usplash - this should be
> fixed in the next kernel release. Some lines are wrapped incorrectly.
> This should be fixed in the next usplash release. The artwork isn't
> final, but it's produced by someone who can draw (rather than me) so
> it's significantly more attractive. Some people may have strange fringes
> of different colours around the picture - this ought to be fixed in the
> next usplash release as well.
>
> Bug reports plskthxbi
> --
> Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org

Very well done Matthew ! Regardless of graphics, what really impressed
me was how "smooth" it all was : both when initialising the graphics
mode (previously, the text would flicker, then change color briefly
(bright white instead of grey) before actually displaying the splash.)
Then the transition with X starting is perfect, you don't get to see any
kernel message, no flickering when starting X.
Very professional looking indeed !

The splash itself looked a bit buggy (hard to describe) but you said
there were a few bugs about this soon to be fixed, so I will for your
next update before filing bugs...

Again, I am most impressed with the "smoothness" you achieved here ! :-)

--
Vince