[Possible Spam]::Re: CD integrity checking (Re: Colony 3, Test report)

Alvin Thompson alvin-ubuntu at thompsonlogic.com
Mon Aug 29 18:44:48 CDT 2005

Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> A better option would be to offer to verify the CD if an installation step
> fails.  While this could result in suggesting a check for cases where the
> failure was obviously not caused by a bad CD, it will not result in any
> additional overhead for good CDs, which are far and away the common case.

ok, i'm breaking my promise to leave this one alone. :/

the serious problem with this approach is that almost certainly the
install would have already formatted/modified your hard drive by this
point. this makes this option virtually worthless and actually
*detracts* from an already negative user experience. if you tell a user
after the fact that the reason their computer is now a doorstop is
because the CD is bad, users will invariably wonder, "why the hell
didn't you tell me this *before* you formatted my hard drive?" and they
would be right.

better to play dumb at that point. :)

-alvin