planet gnome comment

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Mon Aug 29 18:06:43 CDT 2005

> Well, I use "browser mode" with the places panel on the left (not the
> directory tree panel).  That offers the fastest & easiest way to go to
> the places one uses most (use bookmarks!) and because of that is much
> better than spatial mode IMHO, even (or especially) for newbies.
> (But that's just my opinion of course...)

I second that.

The recent improvements in the browser ("Places" view, new path bar, and
ability now back to hide the space hungry, mostly useless and ugly main
toolbar, not mention the toolbar editing that's to come in 2.14), have
turned the browser in a superb tool which I just love using all the
time. It is the perfect mix of spatial and browser. Takes the best bits
of each of them leaves the rest behind. Usability wise, I can't think of
a better GUI. Intuitive, good looking, easy to use. Lovely.
Also, this new "tree" view in spatial mode is kinda a non-sense to me. I
thought th whole point was precisely that "the window is the folder".
With this tree view now implemented, spatial is a bit difficult to grasp
conceptually.

Anyway I don't want fuel the fire and won't make further comments (if
just to keep this list tidy ;-), but usually Spatial seems to win most
peoples voices, so I thought it would be worth voicing a different
opinion at least once...

--
Vince, madly in love with the revisited Browser...