LTSP/ThinClient report

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 26 00:45:24 CDT 2005

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 07:00:14AM +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:

> Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > This is a missing dep on netkit-inetd; will fix.
>
> Wouldn't be better to run it as daemon instead? Using inetd will pull in
> yet another daemon to achieve the same functionalities of switching the
> RUN_DAEMON to "yes".

The only way to run it as a daemon out of the box would be to change the
default.  Depending on inetd doesn't require changing any other packages, so
it is simpler.

> > I think it is probably too late for us to try to automate that piece, and
> > the administrator will need to configure the firewall rules themselves.  We
> > can document it, of course.
> >

> Ok, make sense. Do you want me to add notes to the wiki with some possible scenarions and iptables
> rules?

That would be excellent.

> > Hmm...you mean the workaround in initramfs-tools 0.22 did not fix it for
> > you?  Try increasing the delay to 5 seconds and see if that helps.
> >

> Apparently the workaround didn't work. I will try that as soon as i will retest LTSP.

Thanks.  At least one other person (on edubuntu-devel) is experiencing the
same problem even with a 5-second delay, so we need to find out what is
going on here.

--
 - mdz