colony 3 tested

Martin Ericsson i00marer at island.liu.se
Tue Aug 23 20:22:10 CDT 2005

I've just installed colony 3 (i386). Here's some bugs I've found. I
don't know what kind of information about my hardware you need, but I'd
gladly post it if you tell me how. I'm only glad to help!

Big problems:
The scroll-button on my mouse doesn't work at all.

Mounted VFAT-partitions doesn't handle special swedish character. ÅÄÖ
are replaced by ? in filenames. I had the same problem in hoary.
Mounting with "codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,utf8" works OK with most
apps (but not with i.e. Beep music player).

I tried to play some vorbis files with rhytmbox. It worked the first
time, but the next time I tried it just sounded bad. The vocals of the
songs are played pretty silentely and ..well differentely than how it
should sound. I've had the same problem in hoary, but nowadays it
usually works without problem. I have no idea why it happens.

Small problems:
My internet connection doesn't support DHCP. But instead of givning me
the option to setup the network manually, it just asked me for host-name
and then continued the installation process. I think I had the same
problem with hoary. I solved the problem by choosing "back" at the host
name prompt and selected "manual network config" from the list.

CHECK! When using the search bar in the
"install/remove-programs"-application I got two identical hits for "nvu"?

I had to choose dictionary twice. First between English and American and
later between those and Swedish.

Installing beagle doesn't start the beagle daemon. Don't know if that a
bug or a feuture : )

Thunderbird crashed when I changed my newly added IMAP-server to use SSL
for authentication. When restarted it worked without problems.

Keep up the good work,
Martin Ericsson