breezy: boot screen hosed

Paul Sinnett paul.sinnett at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 23:54:01 CDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-21 at 14:17 -0400, miasma wrote:
> Seems to be fixed with the new version 0.22 of initramfs-tools.

This is the version I have.

> On the other hand I also just reinstalled the linux-image. It now
> works.
>
> Just an idea: put vesafb into /etc/mkinintramfs/modules?

Okay, I found out how to diagnose mkinitramfs. If you use the -k option
it keeps a copy of the temporary files it uses to create the image:

sudo mkinitramfs -k -o /boot/test.img-2.6.12-7-386 2.6.12-7-386

Working files in /tmp/mkinitramfs_BYKkXx and overlay
in /tmp/mkinitramfs-OL_q5ibyx

The first folder contains the files, the second is empty. Listing
conf/modules from the temporary folder I get:

vga16fb
fbcon
capability
vesafb
fbcon

So vesafb is already in there. But fbcon is in twice - could that be the
problem? It does seem to pop into the right mode for a moment and then
bail out while booting...

If I add anything to /etc/mkinitramfs/modules it is added to this list.
This happens even if I set MODULES=list
in /etc/mkinitramfs/initramfs.conf (I don't think the "list" and "dep"
options are implemented yet.) So there appears to be no direct way to
remove an entry from the auto created list.

Does anybody know how mkinitramfs figures out what modules to add to
conf/modules