colony 3 on iBook G4

Francesco Accattapà callipeo at libero.it
Sun Aug 21 09:28:20 CDT 2005

Hi,

I tried a fresh breezy install using colony cd 3, and it failed.

Here is the report:

- I was unable to get the correct keyboard layout. I have an italian
  keyboard whose detected layout was completely broken (it was an
  AZERTY layout). I tried the option "Find your layout by pressing some
  keys" which resulted to "sr-cy". I do not really know what it is,
  but it looks similar to the US layout, so I just selected US from the
  full keyboard list, which is better than nothing.

  Honestly I don't remember if hoary suffered this problem too.

- The installation process hanged in the middle of the bootloader
  configuration, during the OSes detection. It seems to me that it
  failed to mount the HFS partition, since it hanged on the command

  "mount -o ro -t
             hfsplus /dev/discs/disc0/part3 /var/lib/os-probe-mount"

  My partition map is attached to this message.

  At this point I killed the processes and tried to continue without
  the bootloader.

- After the first stage was completed I got a message saying that the
  computer would be rebooted, but instead it returned to the main menu.
  Choosing to abort or end the installation leaded to an infinite
  cycle, so I rebooted with CTRL+ALT+DEL. I'm not sure if this was
  caused by the previous failure.

After the reboot I got an infinite series of messages saying "Could not
load /lib/modules/2.6.12-7-powerpc/modules.dep: no such file or
directory". I think something strange happened, because actually I have
not /lib/modules/2.6.12-7-powerpc/, but /lib/modules/2.6.12-6-powerpc/.

I'm attaching /var/log/installer/syslog
and /var/log/installer/hardware-summary for now, please let me know how
can I help further.