Kernel upgrades requiring a "depmod -a"

Pete Shinners pete at shinners.org
Sat Aug 20 14:22:56 CDT 2005

I've been running on Breezy for the past month or two. I've noticed after two
kernel upgrades my system doesn't fully boot up. The problem is related to X not
finding the "nvidia" module install.

Both times I've had the problem, I first thought I must not have the right
packages all upgraded. Then when I find they are, and that the nvidia should be
found I run a "depmod -a". After that the system work good like normal.

It seems like this should automatically be included in any "post-install" steps
when a package with kernel modules is installed?