Colony 3 problems--my report

Zach uid000 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 13:56:00 CDT 2005

Just upgraded my machine, which was running [approximately] colony2.
Here are some problems I ran into:

After the upgrade, there were lots of complaints & perl warnings from
apt/dpkg about not being able to set the locale properly.  I'm using
English US.  See next for resolution on this.

Open Office 2 apps crashes continuously and will not run.  I did a
complete removal of all Open Office 2 packages including localization
packages and reinstalled.  This seems to have made the perl warnings
about not being able to set locale (see previous) go away.  However
Open Office 2 still crashes and won't run.

After the upgrade there were continuously errors from apt/dpkg about
not being able to configure console-data, base-config, ubuntu-minimal
& unbuntu base, even when other packages were being added or removed.
This caused Synpatic to report that the action was not completed
successfully, and to check the output for errors.  I finally did a
complete removal of console-data, base-config, ubuntu-minimal &
unbuntu base, and reinstalled them.  This seems to have solved that
problem.

After the upgrade,  x-window-system-core was reported as broken due to
libgl1-xorg-dri not being able to be configured.  libgl1-xorg-dri was
reporting a conflict with overwriting a file owned by xlibmesa-dri.  I
uninstalled xlibmesa-dri, & x-window-system-core.  I installed
ubuntu-desktop, which caused x-window-system-core to be reinstalled,
and libgl1-xorg-dir to be installed.  This appears to have  solved the
problem.

An unrelated problem is that  when first inserting the CD into an
Ubuntu machine, a dialog appears asking whether to automatically
upgrade.  If I decline, or if I cancel during the process, I can never
get the dialog to appear again, and I have to use apt-cdrom to
manually add the new CD, so I can use synaptic to upgrade.  Is there a
way to get the auto-upgrade dialog to return?

Also it would be nice to be able to boot off the CD and have the
installer detect the existing Ubuntu installation and offer to perform
an upgrade.  I think many users will do this expecting it to work that
way.

If any of these should be bugs, please let me know, and I will file them.