Colony 3 on tc1100

Joshua Swink yathster at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 14:44:42 CDT 2005

This is a report of installing Ubuntu 5.10 Colony 3 on an HP/Compaq
tc1100 tablet PC. I have been using 5.04 on this tablet for some time,
and 5.10 installed nearly as well. Many distributions have trouble
installing on this tablet, not only because of its USB keyboard, but
because they have trouble locating the hard drive after the initial
install (but I do not know why). Ubuntu 5+ has not had such problems.

None of the following issues occur in 5.04.

There were 3 main issues: interface swapping, xorg.conf, and the
battery monitor.

First, after the first reboot, during the hotplug system
initialization, it appeared as though the network interface names were
being swapped. The messages were a bit garbled. They were indeed
swapped, however. That's a problem, because they ended up in a
different order than during the initial questioning phase, when I had
indicated that eth1 should be the primary (I knew that eth0 would not
be usable after booting). Now that the interfaces were swapped, eth1
was the adapter that wouldn't work, and the network therefore didn't
come up. As a result of that, the installer stalled while installing
"language-pack-en". Here is a copy of base-config-pkgsel.log at that
time: http://nodens.ath.cx/5.10-colony3_base-config-pkgsel.log

I went to a VT and brought up eth0 and manually completed the package
updating and everything was pretty much fine, just a couple of minor
glitches:

In xorg.conf, the mouse input device didn't have 'ZAxisMapping "4 5"'
like in 5.04, so the scroll wheel didn't work, and the display's
DefaultDepth was set to 16. The video card is a "NVIDIA Corporation
NV17 [GeForce4 420 Go 32M]".

The battery monitor shows a battery even though the tablet is plugged
in. It reports 100% charge and unknown time remaining.

The interface swapping problem seems to have gone away after an
update. But the installer simply failed because there was no Internet
access.

Joshua Swink