apt and automatic removal of unused dependencies

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Thu Aug 18 12:20:41 CDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 16:41 +0200, Wouter Stomp wrote:
> On 7/5/05, Michael Vogt <michael.vogt at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I build a testversion of apt and (most) of the dependent packages
> > (aptitude, synaptic, python-apt) with support for automatic removal of
> > unused depedencies.
> >

> Has this been further developed? Is this going to be in breezy? (or is
> it already included?) Just wondering...
>
> Wouter.

I am also exxxxtremely interested by the progress on this !!!
Indeed, I must have thousands of unsused files clogging (slowing down ?)
my system due to so many 'install/un-install 2 minutes later' parties
with Synaptic, when playing with all the software available in Universe,
either by simple curiosity, or when genuinely trying to locate a program
that would fit a need.
It would be so great if one day, if I install a package, whatever the
package,  which uses say 173 files and 2,546,221 bytes on the disk, and
that I unsinstall it 2 minutes later when I realise it's not what I
wanted, well it would be good that Synaptic tells me that 173 (not 10
nor 172) files will be removed and that 2,546,221 (not 400KB nor
2,546,220) byes will be freed.
IOW, it would be good to be sure that when I uninstall something, Ubuntu
is as clean/tidy and lightweight as it was when it was first installed,
bar the hidden folders in the user's directory, of course.

So Michael, you have all my support (but sadly no money) for this
project, it definitely deserves to be given 95% of your valuable time,
and I am hoping it will be working and fully operational for Breezy+1 in
spring... :-)

Regards,

Vince