Breezy Badger milestone release "Colony 3" now available

Lukas Sabota punkrockguy318 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 17 17:08:54 CDT 2005

I just upgraded to the Colony 3 release.  Overall, it is very usable.
I'm very pleased with all of the xorg modulazation that has been coming
along.  I've noticed a couple problems that I'd like to leave some
feedback on.

Matt Zimmerman wrote:

>  - The much-awaited USplash graphical boot feature is included; though its
>    full functionality is not yet enabled, it displays a graphical boot
>    screen and it is important for us to know that it works on a wide
>    variety of hardware before proceeding.  To activate it, run the
>    following command in a terminal after installing or upgrading:
>
>    $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-`uname -r`

I ran the command specified.  On my next boot, I received no information
about the boot process, just the Ubuntu logo and a white box where the
bootup output should go.  Then, I changed my vga kernel setting to 791,
and I just was given a black screen until X started.  Hmm, what's the
deal there?

>  - The "Add/Remove Programs" tool has been enhanced and beautified

Mmm, quite beautiful :)  A big improvement over add/remove in hoary.
What programs are installable by this program?

>  - Several desktop programs have been extended to provide convenient access
>    to related resources in Launchpad (you'll see new items in the Help
>    menu).  For example, Archive Manager, Text Editor and Evolution.

Very nice!  Hopefully this will be consistant through the entire Ubuntu
desktop soon :)

>  - A new tool has been added to make it easy to add and remove support for
>    multiple languages (System->Administration->Ubuntu Language Selector)

This is a very good start!  But, there is no way to set POSIX/C as the
system default.  And how well does this integrate with GDM?

Another problem I've noticed:  I cannot switch to any of my v/cs...
Alt-ctrl-f1 throgh f6 do nothing...

Are other people sharing my experiances?

God Bless,
Lukas