Resyncing the archive with the seed lists

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Tue Aug 16 22:29:06 CDT 2005

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 02:11:07PM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:

> Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>
> > o ispell-fo: aspell-fo
> >   [Reverse-Depends: language-support-fo]
> >
> >	Missing report
>
> Are explicit reports needed for each dictionary?

If it is a new source package to enter main, then yes, it needs a report.

> > o language-support-fo: language-support-fo
> >   [Reverse-Depends: Supported seed]
> >
> >	Pending report for ispell-fo dependency
>
> sorting out the aspell dependencies with Martin.

This is still pending, any update?

> > o sox: sox
> >   [Reverse-Depends: isdnvboxclient]
> >
> >	Missing report
>
> we should drop isdnutils, and keep isdnutils-base, ipppd, isdnlog,
> isdnutils-doc, isdnutils-xtools

Please make the appropriate changes to the seeds.

> > o amd64-libs-dev
> > {amd64-libs}
> >
> >	This should presumably be seeded.  Tollef?
>
> not yet. libc6-dev-amd64 still has problems, as it looks, a solution
> would require to replace the headers in libc6-dev (on i386) with the
> x86_64 headers. needs some work, coordinating with Jeff Bailey.
>
> > o libdb4.2-java-dev
> > {db4.2}
> > o python2.4-egenix-mxstack
> > {egenix-mx-base}
> >
> >	Matthias, should we seed these or move them?
>
> yes, will do.

These are still pending.

> > o hplip-ppds
> > {hplip}
> >
> >	hplip is currently only in main because of hpijs, but we had planned
> >	to include it in order to provide out-of-the-box support for HP
> >	all-in-one devices.  I've added hplip-base and hplip-ppds to
> >	supported, but we should discuss moving them to desktop.
>
> hplip is the recommended driver at least for the office jets.

Is there any reason not to add hplip-base and hplip-ppds to desktop?

> > o mozilla-openoffice.org openoffice.org2-dev openoffice.org2-dev-doc
> > openoffice.org2-officebean{openoffice.org2}
> >
> >	Matthias, what shall we do with these?
>
> mozilla-openoffice.org - proposing for desktop.
> openoffice.org2-dev openoffice.org2-dev-doc: already in main, they can
> stay there.
> openoffice.org2-officebean: never used it, maybe give the same status as
> the -dev packages?

For a package to stay in main, it needs to be added to a seed or made a
dependency (direct or indirect) of a package already in a seed.  We're
trying to get the archive and the seeds back in sync so that this list is
empty.

> > o tk8.3-dev
> > {tk8.3}
> >
> >	Should probably be seeded.  Thoughts?
>
> that is a build dependency of expect-tcl8.3, which is a build dependency
> of gcc-4.0 on hppa. Should be go in automatically, after the myterious
> build failures on the buildd's go away:
> http://people.ubuntu.com/~lamont/buildLogs/e/expect-tcl8.3/5.43.0-2/

tk8.3-dev is not a dependency of any seeded package in the authoritative
germinate output (which I think excludes hppa); that's why it's in this list
of packages which want to move to universe.  However, its source is already
in main, so it doesn't necessarily make sense to put some of its binaries in
universe.  This is one of the scenarios I outlined in my original mail.

--
 - mdz