Re Kubuntu 64bit, several issues

Rod Lovett rodlovett at ozemail.com.au
Sun Aug 14 03:48:54 CDT 2005

/*Dear Team,
                  I prefer KDE so run Kubuntu, and now have an AMD64
3000+ Venice core with Gigabyte K8 Triton and 1 G ddr.
I really do not like the default no root login, treating users as little
children, easy enough to get around if one knows how though.
For average users it makes editing sources.list difficult too, and
restricts their software options.

Also making packages that are not Debian compatible is in my opinion
more of the type of anarchy which detracts from the Linux World .
Fortunately Debian software still runs on Kubuntu, though not always
happily.

For example, the Kubuntu incarnation of Thunderbird has a glitch, it
does not display more than one email address, though it creates then.
The Debian one is ok though so why must you reinvent the wheel with less
quality control .

KDE login is distorted, with a bad resolution, fortunately KDE desktop
is saved but only after configuring it so.

Trying to play mp3's is kludgy with Amarok, and causes totem to crash.
My compliments for USB hotplugging though.

So good luck, but hopefully some attitude changes in there
Cheers
Rod Lovett*/