WinModem Driver Packaging

Dean Michael C. Berris mikhailberis at free.net.ph
Sat Aug 13 02:19:46 CDT 2005

Good Day,

I understand that there are many drivers out there available for
internal "winmodems" -- one such driver set out there is the smlink [1]
modem drivers. I have used these drivers before successfully, but I
still haven't seen source packages from the repository, or even just
dummy packages that will allow the download of the sources and building
them on the machine Ubuntu is being installed upon.

I understand that there are legal implications to distributing binary
drivers for the smlink-supported modems built from the sources from the
smlink site. But are there other ways of circumventing these legal
issues or side-stepping them by distributing the sources and a build
utility around it?

I see that this might be a paradox -- putting resources for your modem
online, while you still can't use the modem to get online. I do not know
if there are legal implications of distributing the smlink drivers in
source format -- or whether mirroring the sources will be an issue --
and would like to be enlightened more regarding the issue.

Would it be possible for us to build a package -- similar to the java
downloader packages, and the nvidia driver downloader packages -- to at
least simplify the download and installation of drivers for a broad set
of internal modems?

Just thinking aloud.

--
Dean Michael C. Berris <mikhailberis at free.net.ph>