current problems in UbuntuExpress

Juan Jesús Ojeda Croissier juanje at interactors.coop
Fri Aug 12 15:03:43 CDT 2005

Hi guys,

We were working on the UE(UbuntuExpress) but we get stuck with some
things. One was the partman-auto and the other is the connection between
the backend and frontend.
For the first we've already talked and asked for help. Mostly because of
the leak of doc.
I've been testing the different backend's parts and mostly works, but
the bootloader need some work (and testing and help) with the yaboot
stuff. And also the connection between back and front end is actually
not working. I made a mistake in my design. This is the way it works:

There is a main program who play the logic of the installer and have the
control. This program (or backend) choose a user interface from a list
of them (actually they are python modules and the backend import the
chosen one).
After that, the backend launch the method run() of the interface (it
could be graphical or not. Even non interactive) to the frontend (the UI
chosen) ask the info to the user.
While this happen the backend is just waiting.
When the frontend finish getting info, then let to know it, somehow
(this is one of my problems right now), to the backend.
That's the moment when the backend begins the real installation (format,
copying the distro, post config). So, while the frontend is showing a
dialog with a progress bar, the backend is working and sending back info
about the status to the frontend, in order to be able to change the
progress bar.

There is some minimal pats of the front end unfinished but it's mostly
because they need to know the connection is working.

I was wondering if someone know the better way to do this connection. I
read to ogra something about dbus, but I don't know so much about dbus.
I tried with threads (but they are always bad option, more messing with
GUIs), forks and something else.
Here you can see the code and take a look:
http://ws314.juntadeandalucia.es/guadalinex2005/live_installer/default/installer

If you're interested, please check out the 'frontend' method.

That's all for the moment. I'll keep working on and sending reports.
Have a good weekend :-)

--
   \|/  interactors              | juanje arroba interactors.coop
  \|/    |_ activando redes      | http://interactors.coop