Why does the group admin exist?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Wed Aug 10 16:39:21 CDT 2005

On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 09:53:59PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
>On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 09:42:12PM +0100, Magnus Therning wrote:
>> I just realised that on one of my Ubunt machines (I have two) the group
>> admin exists and the sudoers file contained
>>
>>  %admin ALL=(ALL) ALL
>>
>> On the other machine the group did not exist, and insted the first user
>> created (during install) had an entry in the sudoers file.
>>
>> Where does the difference come from?
>
>The first machine was a fresh Hoary install, and the second was upgraded
>from Warty. We introduced the admin group in Hoary, but messing with
>people's existing /etc/sudoers files was just too hairy to contemplate.

I beg to differ. I used the same install CD for both machines... Well,
anyways, no harm done, I just created the group on the machine where it
was missing.

Is the group used for anything else? Anything at all?

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word.
     -- Andrew Jackson